My first garment is finished! This is made from Simplicity 2892, the first commercial pattern I have used since junior high school. The fabric is off the quiliting wall at JoAnn's. I like the outcome and will definitely wear the top this summer.
Just a couple adjustments were made to the pattern. I shortened the body of the top by about an inch. (I'm 5' 3"). Determining the size was a little tough, as commercial pattern sizes are nothing like off-the-rack sizes. After measuring the pattern envelope told me I should wear a 12 or 14. After cutting the 12, I reconsidered and sized down to a 10. For comparison, I normally wear a small or medium (6 or 8) off the rack. After sewing the side seams, I decided the shirt was too wide and narrowed it a bit. To do this, I found a shirt in my closet that fits well, laid it on top and traced the shape. Initially, I planned to hem the shirt (view D), but decided to add elastic instead (view F). It seems to work better with the style and print and feels more finished this way.
The neck is quite detailed with a gathered yoke and ruffle (front and back). It took some time to gather the entire yoke and then the ruffle. Also, the yoke must be handstiched to the inside of the top. I suppose you could just topstitch the yoke to close the seam, but that would change the look with the topstitching visible on the outside. Although time consuming, I have found that I like this type of detail work that requires some handstitching and fussing.
It's funny - I would never try on this style or print at a clothing store, but I like it! I see myself making more from this pattern. This will be my first entry for made by rae's Spring Top Week.